Friday, March 7, 2014

Evaluate 1.1.3 The Summative Assessment

The Summative Assessment

While it is necessary to have some formal summative assessment, I prefer project-based learning.  Currently, I use Examview software to create any multiple choice, true/false, matching tests that I administer to my students.  Schoology works well with the Examview software. I go through the question banks and take out any questions that I know we have not covered during the unit so that the test is actually testing what the students were taught. (Validity)

However, I prefer to know that my students can apply what they have learned and not just memorize and forget.  Therefore, I do a lot of project based summative assessment.  The final exam in my Web Page Design class is a concept map project that students create in using www.gliffy.com. They then e-mail me their finished product.  Of course, they get a copy of the rubric to ensure they know what is expected of them and which topics need to be addressed.

I teach 4 classes of Web Page Design whereas I only teach 1 of each of my other courses, so it is fairly easy to see if the students are scoring the same across the four courses to test for reliability.

No comments:

Post a Comment